Readers and Comments Welcome

I want to thank you all for taking the time to read my blog. The Yapping of a Canadian Mutt was created as an outlet for my personal frustration with the government system surrounding mental health issue. This is my personal way to create awareness.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

A Mutt Idea- Medical Data Base For Mental Health

Apparently my idea isn’t a new one. The Canadian Mental Health Association, has it as their mandate - called the collaborative health plan. A Dr. Nick Kates of Ontario already implements half these idea with medical professionals. This solution has been idealized for half a decade, but where has it gone?

It isn’t a hard of a concept to understand and everyone sees the need, but the blockers are just superficial government, provincial, and bureaucrat garbage. I was told Doctors and clinicians need to be trained in this idealization. I for one believe that Doctors and clinicians are smart enough to understand this concept without training. Then the other point was privacy laws, consider we have same system known as BC provincial medical data base, then where is the issue to have same data base for mental health. As for the Case Worker: overseer of case, all you need is a person with great organization skills that can take all government services and agencies and community services and apply them to the needs of an individual. I feel a wedding planner could do this position justice– crude statement, but very true.

When I think of all the money wasted within the health care system, and the government money wasted to develop ideas— it makes me sick. The bottom line is people within the mental health community believe there is no way get these ideas implemented into government. I hear it all the time, ” hey, Carrie-Ann good luck with that!” or ” you don’t have a snowballs chance in HELL”

We just kept spinning our wheels. We knew what the problem was in 2002 with the Kirby Report on Reform – Mental health care was too fragmented. 2012 will mark the Kirby Report a decade old- what has it done, besides waste money. The Vancouver Report-lost in transition(2008-2009)states the problem. Just look at the 2009 mental health stats, look at all the reports.Without a positive plan of action Mental Health issues will place such a burden on all areas of government and societies- it will bankrupt us. Basically we are placing a band-aid on a wound that needs medical attention. These little band-aid fixers will not heal the problem.

I want to see a real plan of action by the BC government in way of mental health. I will be willing to work with Mr Kevin Falcon for free. The idea of a collaborative mental health system is a sound concept. It will save us money, it will stop duplication,and it will meet a persons needs before the costs sky-rocket to excessive amount. So like a teenage girl waits for the popular boy to call, I will wait for my phone call too

No comments:

Post a Comment