Readers and Comments Welcome

I want to thank you all for taking the time to read my blog. The Yapping of a Canadian Mutt was created as an outlet for my personal frustration with the government system surrounding mental health issue. This is my personal way to create awareness.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Canadian Webb Of Doubleness-- TOO Costly For This Mutt

Social Assistance for the Mentally Ill. What a web of bureaucracy. At 16 my daughter was diagnosed with schizophrenia. A mental illness that isn’t curable, will not go away over time, needs to be medicated for life, and it will often be a very disabling mental illness.

Given these facts about schizophrenia I find the pathways to getting a Disability income for my daughter- ludicrous. The government plainly shows his lack of education, understanding, and compassion for these mentally ill people. The severe mentally ill people such as my daughter’s, will never be able to sustain an independent income; in other words she will have to depend on the government income. Did you know that in BC the school districts must fill out and complete proper documentation for persons with sever learning difficulties and handi-caps so that at age 18 they can receive a disability pension, but NOT for the server mentally ill??? What did the government forget about these poor souls?

My daughter must first apply for welfare, before she will ever be considered for disability pension. My daughter has had two comprehensive psychological tests, one done by Dr. Wally, part of District 53 school board, and the other one performed by Penticton mental health. These two tests showed that our daughter had severe learning difficulties and had difficulty doing every day’s tasks. Both professionals stated that that our daughter would more than likely qualify for long-term disability. All of the four Doctors that worked with my daughter stated she would be unable to hold a normal job to support herself.

Now these professionals can determine that a pension plan is applicable, then why must we jumped through bureaucratic hoops. The answer is simply this! There is NO need.. When considering that a monetary income would ensure: adequate housing, verses living on the street, funds in which to go to doctor’s appointments and or clinician appointments verses no health plan to healthy living, income in which to enrich their lives with education or social programs, and lastly to feel like a contributing, independent, individual of society. These are all basic human desires that reaffirm a human’s worth in society.

I am sure now that the BC government has been made aware of this– confusing, massive web of bureaucratic agencies, and the expenses of having two agencies handle one case. In a very tough economic period, we must be accountable to unnecessary spending. I would encourage the BC government to rectify this immediately. Call me, because I have some simple easy solutions.

No comments:

Post a Comment