Readers and Comments Welcome

I want to thank you all for taking the time to read my blog. The Yapping of a Canadian Mutt was created as an outlet for my personal frustration with the government system surrounding mental health issue. This is my personal way to create awareness.

Friday, June 4, 2010

Bark at me all you want! My denial won't change!

In Mental health, there is a great division in the area of denial and non compliance. Family and caregivers want earlier intervention, and the mental health professions want compliance.

I have often suggested that my daughters denial was part of her illness, that she is unable to see her illness as anything but normal to her. Many people just laughed at me, leaving me to believe they didn’t agree. There is documented proof this condition does exist and Dr Xavier’s studies concur.

A Doctor Xavier Amador, psychologist did studies to determine why patients had denial. He also did studies into an effective method of treating the issue of denial and non-compliance, which he encompassed into 4 books.

Although largely used to describe unawareness of impairment after brain injury or stroke, the term ‘anosognosia’ is occasionally used to describe the lack of insight shown by some people who suffer from psychosis, and who therefore do not have the insight to recognize that they suffer from a mental illness. There is also evidence that schizophrenic anosognosia may be the result of frontal lobe damage.[7]

Given this definition of ‘ Anosognosia ‘ How can we legislation the need to be complaint for voluntary treatment?

This voluntary component excludes a large percentage of the serious mental ill patients from receiving programing or medical attention before self endangerment may occur. Is it justifiable to exclude a percentage of mental ill, because of a medical condition, we don’t accept nor understand?

No comments:

Post a Comment